Founded in 1879 by Waynesboro Native and Washington College Graduate, Professor James A. Fishburne, Fishburne Military School is woven into the very fabric of Waynesboro and Shenandoah Valley History. For 138 years, FMS has been preparing young men for lives of leadership and service.
At the school’s inception, Fishburne wrote: “It is my purpose to have here an institution which shall rank as first class in everything that constitutes true worth, and from which shall go forth loyal, earnest, industrious boys and young men, well-equipped for the duties and responsibilities of life, and above all else, to maintain a high standard of honor and integrity in the Corps of Cadets.”
Today, Fishburne Military School is a leader in the United States Army JROTC Cadet Command’s Fourth Brigade and, as an Honor Unit with Distinction, holds the privilege of nominating qualified cadets to any of the United States Service Academies.
As an all-male college preparatory school and leadership training program, Fishburne Military School’s modern mission statement is to provide each cadet with a sound academic foundation, a healthy mental and physical environment, and leadership training for a better understanding of the obligations of honor, citizenship, and self-discipline.
Famous Alumni of Fishburne Military School include former Virginia Governor Gerald Baliles and Pulitzer Prize winner Eugene Payne.
Highlights of FMS
- Founded in 1879, FMS is the oldest and smallest of Virginia’s Military Schools.
- With enrollment capped at 175, FMS is able to provide Cadets with a caring, familial learning environment.
- Class size average is 10 Cadets per instructor (range is from 5-12)
- Afternoon Help Class coupled with mandatory, supervised study hall each evening ensures that FMS Cadets stay focused, on task and caught up on all assigned work.
- As an Army JROTC Honor Unit With Distinction (since the 1928-29 school year), Fishburne can nominate qualified Cadets to any of the US Service Academies.
- 13 different varsity sports (including 11-man football) along with JROTC extra-curricular activities, weekend trips and regular dances at other private schools all combine to ensure positive outlets for young men and a well-rounded college preparatory experience.
- 100% college acceptance
- FMS is breaking ground this year on a new state-of-the-art Field House to be completed by Aug 2019.
- On site Athletic Trainer and state-of-the-art weight training facility.
- With a population of 20,000, Waynesboro is large enough to offer local stores and restaurants within walking distance for the Cadets, parents and visitors; but, is small enough to provide a safe atmosphere.
- FMS is recognized as a National Historic Landmark.
- FMS accepts Boarding, Day, and 5-Day Boarding students
225 S. Wayne Avenue
Waynesboro, Virginia USA
Ms. Suzanne Ryan, Director of Admissions
Mob: +1-570-428-2088 (WhatsApp and WeChat)
[email protected] & [email protected]
Office +1-540-946-7770 x112